What is CS and how to crack?
Company Secretary (CS) is one of the principal posts in a company.A CS is responsible for complete company’s tax returns, keep records, advise board of directors and ensure that the company complies with legal and statutory regulations.
In India, The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is the only recognized professional body in India to develop and regulate the profession of Company Secretaries. The ICSI provides training and education to lakhs of aspiring Company Secretaries. Members. At present, there are more than 50,000 members and about 4,00000 students on the rolls of ICSI.
To be able to professionally practice Company Secretary ship , an individual has to complete three levels of training and examination, set by the ICSI.
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India provides training to candidates aspiring to pursue CS. The institute conducts its CS programmes at the three levels. On completion of the course, candidates are issued certificates.
The programmes imparted by ICSI at three levels are as follows:
- Foundation Programme
- Executive Programme
- Professional Programme
CS – Eligibility
Any student who aspires to become a certified Company Secretary must fulfill the given below eligibility criteria to pursue the programme:
- Minimum qualification required to register for the first level (Foundation Programme) of Company Secretary course in Class XII pass in any stream (excluding fine arts) from a recognized university or equivalent
- The candidate who wishes to pursue CS after Graduation, will have to undergo only two levels: Executive Programme and Professional Programme
- All Graduates and Post Graduates (excluding Fine Arts) and those having passed in the Foundation examination of The ICSI, Foundation exam of The Institute of Cost Accountants of India or the Common Proficiency Test (CPT) conducted by The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India or of any other accountancy institution in India or abroad recognised by the Council of the Institute are exempted from passing the Foundation Programme examination
CS – Entrance Exams
- Admission to ICSI’s Company Secretary programme is open throughout the year. The exams are conducted bi-annually in June and December. Aspiring candidates can apply according their choice of exam month.
- A candidate is declared to have passed the Foundation / Executive / Professional examination, if he/she secures at one sitting a minimum of 40% marks in each paper and 50% marks in the aggregate of all subjects.
It requires perseverance, mental strength and strong convincing power. Some of the desirable skillset for this job are mentioned below:
- Strong communication skills
- Time management and multitasking
- Competent with numbers
CS Career Prospects and Opportunities
CS professionals have bright future. It is one of the powered and prestigious job profiles. Candidates after completing the course get chance to work in stock exchange, company affairs department, law board and various government departments.
Company Secretary Course opens various avenues for an individual in the world of business and finance. A trained and certified Company Secretary can work as an independent advisor to a firm for procedures of loans, taxes, partnerships, government licenses, registrations, etc. or join a company secretary firm to render services to its clients.
How To Prepare For CS Exam?
1) Know Your CS Syllabus and Exam Pattern
- Make a timetable.
- Prepare with best study materials.
- Practice previous year question papers
- Stay focused
- Find proper guidance.